Building Stronger Neighborhoods Through LGBTQ Leadership
United Pride serves the LGBTQ community's range of needs both within United Way and in our neighborhoods to affect change and foster a culture of generosity and inclusion.
At United Way of Metro Chicago, diversity is a core value. We are dedicated to reflecting the diversity of sexual and gender identity, culture, ethnicity, age and religion, as well as other qualities that unite our region and, in turn, strengthen our organization and community.
LEADING WITH STRENGTH, SUPPORTING THOSE IN NEED. TOGETHER WITH AGENCY PARTNERS, UNITED WAY IS CHANGING THE STORY FOR INDIVIDUALS WHO IDENTIFY AS LGBTQ IN OUR COMMUNITY.
United Pride's Promise
- Create a voice for LGBTQ inclusion in United Way’s mission, brand, communications, polices and investments
- Identify, fund and raise awareness for LGBTQ community needs aligned with United Way goals
- Serve as mentors, role models, sponsors and colleagues who can provide valuable knowledge and information on LGBTQ issues
- Add value by establishing relationships with local organizations and LGBTQ employee resource groups to embrace and address LGBTQ issues.
- Support LGBTQ community events as representatives of United Way of Metropolitan Chicago
United Pride Building Up
Thursday, March 28, 2019
8:00am - 9:30am
United Pride, United Way of Metro Chicago’s LGBTQ affinity group, invites you to Building Up: Exploring the barriers faced by transgender people in Chicago and how the community can respond. This breakfast panel event will bring together some of Chicago’s most influential members of the LGBTQ community to discuss how we can work together to ensure the Chicago region is a place where all people in all neighborhoods can thrive.
United Pride Membership
United Pride is open to any United Way of Metro Chicago supporter who identifies as LGBTQ or as an Ally.
UNITED PRIDE EVENTS:
- Spirit Day (anti-bullying)
- Chicago Pride Parade
- Day of Silence (student-led anti-harassment initiatives)
- Networking events
- Volunteer opportunities in the community
OPPORTUNITIES TO SUPPORT UNITED PRIDE:
- Advocate on behalf of LGBTQ issues
- Attend and/or sponsor events throughout the year
- Donate to United Way in support of LGBTQ programs
Homelessness (Crisis Support): Every year in Chicago, almost 9,800 youth experience homelessness. Up to 40% are LGBTQ.
Health: 3 out of 4 new cases of HIV in Chicago continue to be within the LGBTQ community.
Bullying: 80% of LGBTQ students report being harassed because of their sexual or gender identity.
Among the United Way partners helping to serve the needs of the LGBTQ community in the areas of education, income, health and basic needs are:
- 360 Youth Services
- AIDS Foundation of Chicago
- Chicago House
- Corporate partners such as Comcast, NBC Universal, Ernest & Young LLP, Edelman, Exelon, KPMG, Northern Trust, PWC and more