Spring 2019 Photography Intern
Department: Marketing and Communications
Reports To: Senior Manager, Art Director, and Communications Specialist
United Way is seeking a current College Photography or Photojournalism Major in their Junior or Senior year to provide photography support for the Marketing and Communications department. We are looking for someone to focus on covering stories that illustrate United Way’s impact and showcase the clients and communities that we serve throughout the Chicago region.
The intern will accompany Communications team members to off-site assignments throughout the region to photograph people, programs, events and neighborhoods. These photos will then be used to elevate original content posted on the United Way blog and shared through social media channels, positioning United Way as a resource for information on issue areas (such as health or education), philanthropy and Chicago’s neighborhoods.
Interns will also learn and have exposure to the overall daily operation of the Marketing and Communications department and the organization as a whole, and will be provided a well-rounded, hands-on experience in the non-profit environment.
United Way internships are unpaid and must be school-sponsored with specific requirements for completing a certain number of hours, as required by the course of study and college. Credit approval from the college must be arranged by the student.
- Coinciding with Spring Semester 2019, 10–12 weeks, minimum of 12 hours per week (2–3 days)
- Weekly off-site visits throughout the Chicago region (with travel reimbursement)
- Applicant must be a current College Photography or Photojournalism Major in their Junior or Senior year
- Ability to operate professional photography cameras/equipment and associated gear
- Solid knowledge of photography software, such as Lightroom and Photoshop
- Basic computer literacy with proficiency in MAC computers
- Moderately flexible weekday/weekend schedule to accommodate variability of offsite assignments, and willingness to travel to other neighborhoods across the Chicago region
- Demonstrated interest in photojournalism and storytelling through photography
- Knowledge of Instagram and interest in using photography for social media marketing
- Attention to detail for photo selection and editing
- Excellent organizational skills for photo archiving and tagging
- Strong communication skills to collaborate with team members
- Open and positive demeanor to interact with a wide range of people throughout the Chicago region
- Enthusiastic learner who accepts guidance and responds well to feedback
- Adapts well to changes in marketing direction or client needs
- Self-starter who takes initiative, comfortable working alone as well as in a group
- Applicants should have their own professional DSLR camera and, if not, should have working knowledge of Canon cameras to use United Way equipment.
Applicants are required to submit a cover letter and resume as well as a PDF of photography work or a link to an online portfolio to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: 2019 Spring Photography Intern