Senior Manager, Communications
Department: Marketing + Communications
Reports To: Vice President, Marketing + Communications
The Senior Manager of Communications is responsible for managing and directing the organization’s internal and external communications to position United Way as the first and obvious partner for individual, corporate and foundation partners looking to make an impact in neighborhoods throughout the region.
Responsible for developing, implementing and continuously evaluating the United Way of Metro Chicago’s strategic communications plan. This position serves as the lead editor for all content, across all platforms. This position has one direct report.
- Oversees the overall planning, implementation and evaluation of the day-to-day public relations activities.
- Develops a comprehensive long-range and short-term public relations plan, in conjunction with the CEO and the senior team and the VP of Marketing to maximize public awareness of United Way; set priorities and goals; analyze and report on progress in achieving them.
- Develops strong relationships with members of the local, national and international press that benefit the United Way.
- Write and distribute press materials. Manage on-line pressroom and support PR-related web site content
- Serves as the chief editor on all publications to include the annual report, monthly e-newsletters, etc.
- Staffs and preps United Way executives for appearances, interviews and speeches to include preparing talking points and speeches.
- Review all public-facing communications (web, email, social, collateral, reports, etc.) for adherence to brand guidelines.
- Develops in coordination with the VP and Director of Marketing a social media strategy that engages our audiences in the state of human services in the region and United Ways work.
- Develops in coordination with the VP and Director of marketing a monthly organizational editorial calendar (web, social, e-communications, print content).
- Consistently model our Core Values and Behaviors - Humble, Hungry, Mission Driven and People Smart.
- Leads, coaches and develops others.
- Exposes the team to new experiences and opportunities for their development.
- Works with the team to establish rules of operation, i.e. methods of interacting, being productive and resolving conflict.
- Instills the importance of interdependence within the team, i.e. how we work together.
- Convey purpose, vision and maximize employee engagement.
- Works with employees to develop and implement development plans.
- A bachelor's degree and at least 5 years of experience. Degree and/or experience in journalism, communications or marketing preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to oversee and produce strategic communications employing a range of content across a variety of communication vehicles.
- Extensive and successful experience writing and editing for a variety of audiences in long and short form under tight deadlines. Comprehensive knowledge of grammar, punctuation and AP Style. Should be able to write materials that do not need proofreading. Ability to write with different “voices” for different projects.
- Demonstrated success and versatility in writing and editing for a variety of media platforms; traditional and new.
- Experience with developing a social media strategy.
- Attention to detail and accuracy. Pays close attention to visual and written details.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to work on several tasks simultaneously. Ability to manage high volume of deadlines.
- Ability to work independently and proven experience in managing direct reports.
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills.
- Strong computer skills, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.
- Accepts guidance and responds well to feedback.
- Adapts well to accommodate changes in marketing direction or client needs.
- Displays maturity, good judgment, enthusiasm and personal motivation.
- Strong interpersonal skills including the ability to work effectively and collaboratively with a broad range of internal and external groups, including volunteers.
- Proven ability to manage multiple competing priorities effectively and meet deadlines in a fast paced environment.
To official apply for the role, please click here and submit your cover letter and resume for review and consideration.
The responsibilities listed above are intended to describe the general nature and scope of work required in the role. The above is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required. The incumbent may asked to perform other duties as assigned.