Reports To: Controller
Financial Analyst is primarily responsible for budgeting, cash forecasting, cash management, treasury operations and investment management and policy compliance. In addition, the Financial Analyst will be responsible for gathering and analyzing the financial statements of United Way funded agencies, with ultimate the goal of monitoring the financial health of United Way of Metro Chicago.
Operating Budget & Reporting (Actual versus Budget)
- Monitor progress against annual operating plan. Develop and monitor performance indicators, highlighting trends and analyzing causes of unexpected variances. Routinely communicate financial and operational performance trends using appropriate metrics.
- Work with all levels throughout the organization to ensure an appropriate understanding of financial matters, budgeting, cash forecasting and investment matters.
- Contribute and/or prepare reporting and analysis for the Board of Directors and various committees. Present information as required.
- Develop, implement and maintain an effective financial analysis capability that provides senior management with appropriate tools to establish goals and measure performance of the business operations.
Cash Flow Budgeting, Forecasting and Reporting (Actual versus Budget)
- Execute and enhance thorough and comprehensive cash forecasting and monitoring. Anticipate short and long-term cash needs.
- Work closely with the Chief Financial Officer & Controller to perform an analysis of the projected financial results of the organization for the purpose of determining allocable dollars for the subsequent fiscal year(s).
- Contribute and/or prepare cash flow budget and forecast for the Board of Directors and various committees. Present information as required.
Cash Management & Treasury Operations
- Closely monitor cash balances, anticipating short and long-term cash needs.
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance or Accounting required; accounting knowledge essential; 3-5 years experience.
- Appreciation for details and follow through; must be action-orientated.
- Demonstrated success in developing and applying concepts, practices and procedures of financial planning and analysis, finance and treasury management. Advanced analytical and quantitative abilities.
- Demonstrated experience using Excel as a tool to solve business problems.
- Read, analyze and interpret financial data; able to disseminate that knowledge with clear and understandable communication (written or oral) to others.
- Strong customer service skills and corresponding response time to requests, etc. Utilizes creative customer focused service skills to achieve desired results.
- Excellent writing and oral communications skills. Must have ability to explain treasury, cash management, and accounting and finance issues to individuals of all levels including volunteers, experienced finance professionals, etc.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain relationships and foster collaboration with key business partners, volunteers and senior staff.
- Respond effectively to sensitive and confidential information.
- Guided by a clear set of CORE VALUES AND BEHAVIORS – Humble, Hungry, Mission Driven and People Smart, you will join an impressive group of individuals who each brings a remarkable and diverse set of experiences, skills and characteristics to the organization.
- Ability to anticipate workload and effectively leverage relationships with colleagues to meet deadlines and produce high quality work.
- Accepts guidance and responds well to feedback.
- Displays maturity, good judgment, enthusiasm, personal motivation and development.
To view the full position description, including requirements and core responsibilities, and to apply for this role please click here.