Director, Public Policy and Advocacy
Department: Community Impact
Reports To: Senior Vice President, Community Impact
The Director, Public Policy and Advocacy serves both the United Way of Metro Chicago and the United Way of Illinois, a statewide association of 50 members, and is responsible for developing and implementing a public policy strategy designed to achieve the organizations’ advocacy goals including public education, direct lobbying of elected officials, and community organizing.
- Develop strong relationships and work collaboratively with statewide network of local United Way organizations.
- Direct programs and events to engage, motivate, and educate activists and community supporters. Ensure successful tracking and utilization of supporter data.
- Network and develop relationships with key state and community leaders, health and human service providers, government officials, advocacy partners and other stakeholders.
- Develop and foster partnerships with governmental and non-governmental organizations with similar goals to amplify UWs voice to advance our mission.
- Seek opportunities to elevate CEO and other key staff and volunteers.
- Bachelor’s Degree, preferably in Policy, Public Administration or Government; 3-5 years of experience working in public policy and advocacy.
- Strong familiarity with the legislative process.
- Exposure to working with state legislatures, and state government agencies.
- Excellent communication skills, including written and public speaking.
- Experience with on-camera interviews.
- Accomplishments in government relations and/or policy at the state level.
- Proven record developing and implementing state and legislative initiatives.
- Ability to develop collaborative arrangements and strategic partnerships.
- Self-starter, able to work interdependently to accomplish goals and outcomes.
- Facility to lead, direct and motivate staff and volunteers.
- Demonstrated success in developing and communicating a tactical plan to key stakeholders.
- Resourceful with strong research skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to marshal the human resources necessary to achieve desired outcomes.
- Requires valid driver’s license and a reliable and flexible means of transportation.
- Guided by a clear set of Core Values and Behaviors - Humble, Hungry, Mission Driven and People Smart, you will join an impressive group of individuals and contribute your diverse set of experiences, skills and characteristics to the organization
- Accepts guidance and responds well to feedback
- Displays maturity, good judgment, enthusiasm and personal motivation
- Strong interpersonal skills including the ability to anticipate workload and effectively cultivate and leverage relationships with colleagues to meet deadlines
- Collaborative entrepreneurial spirit, ability to multi-task and prioritize concurrent projects and day-to-day tasks within a high production and fast-paced environment
To view the full position description, including requirements and core responsibilities, and to apply for this role please click here.