Chief Financial Officer
Department: Finance and Administration
Reports To: CEO & President
The Chief Financial Officer will serve as a key member of the senior leadership team and have overarching financial and operational support responsibilities. As a trusted advisor to the CEO, the senior management team and the Board, the CFO will play an instrumental role in the future growth and continued financial health of the organization by developing and implementing strategies and best practices.
The CFO’s responsibilities include the strategic and tactical management of the areas of financial accounting, donor / grant accounting, audit, tax, investments, information technology, legal, risk management, facilities and relationships with all financial and technology service providers.
- Organizational Leadership:
- Serves as both a financial and strategic business advisor to the CEO and members of the leadership team by actively contributing to the creation and execution of the organization’s strategic and operational business plans. The CFO will act as a sounding board for the executive team, providing substantive and thoughtful feedback on business issues and projects.
- Develops and drives business process improvements aimed at reducing administrative and overhead costs.
- Analyzes broad-based business risks and makes recommendations as they affect the financial results of the organization.
- Establishes rapport and a professional relationship with the Board of Directors including the Finance Committee, Audit Committee, Compensation & HR Committee and individual Board members.
- Serves as a strategic partner to the Chief Development Officer to interpret fundraising strategies into operating plans and budgets. Collaborates on reforecasting and refining multi-year philanthropic revenue projections.
- Finance and Accounting:
- Directs the operations of the Finance Department ensuring that the financial statements are prepared in accordance with U.S. GAAP and that all financial filings are prepared accurately and performed on a timely basis.
- Proactively directs financial planning and analysis, including the establishment of and reporting on key performance metrics to assist the CEO, senior management and Board in the ongoing management and evaluation of operations.
- Oversees and leads the annual budgeting and planning process. Reviews all financial plans and budgets. Monitors progress and keeps the senior leadership team abreast of the organization’s financial status.
- Employs best practices to ensure appropriate financial controls, operational processes, policies, procedures, and systems are in place.
- Mentors, motivates, and grows a high-performance team that brings excellence to the finance function.
- Legal and Other Compliance Requirements:
- Provides oversight on all legal matters for the organization. Reviews all contracts, memorandums of understanding, and similar commitments of a material nature. Ensures agreements protect the interest of the organization.
- Ensures that the organization complies with all regulatory requirements.
- Oversees the management reporting to all granting agencies and business partners.
- The ideal candidate will possess the following professional and personal qualities, skills and characteristics:
- Finance Expertise and Business Acumen:
- The CFO will bring experience running a 21st century finance department and the ability and confidence to ensure that the organization’s financial oversight is of the highest caliber.
- The CFO will bring a high level of intellectual horsepower with a collaborative, creative and service-oriented mindset.
- The CFO will be a player / coach with the ability to flex seamlessly between the “big picture” and “the details” with strong quantitative and analytical skills.
- The CFO will proactively bring innovative suggestions to the CEO around both revenue opportunities and cost savings ideas.
- The CFO must have proven experience overseeing the accounting, budgeting, financial analysis, compliance and risk management functions.
- The CFO will be skilled at communicating financial information in a clear and confident fashion to all levels of the organization in both formal and informal situations.
- Building Relationships and Leading Through Influence:
- The CFO will have strong executive presence, engender confidence and lead with authority.
- The CFO will be skilled at quickly establishing rapport and cultivating relationships across all levels of the organization and with Board members.
- The CFO will introduce best-in-class practices in a productive manner. The CFO will foster trust and collaboration among team members and possess the ability to manage through change with flexibility and poise.
- The CFO will be an individual with unquestioned integrity, ethics and values; someone who can be trusted with highly confidential and sensitive information.
- Ability to Execute for Results:
- The CFO will have the skills to analyze problems and develop solutions in a proactive, constructive, creative manner that will result in improved performance across the organization.
- The CFO will be a problem solver with excellent reasoning skills and the ability to understand and deal with complexities with ease and creatively overcome obstacles to achieve goals.
- The CFO possesses the curiosity and drive to stay ahead of trends in the NFP world in order to identify new and unique opportunities to better serve the mission of the organization.
- A Passion for the Mission:
- The CFO will bring a passion for the mission of the organization.
- The CFO is a leader who understands and embraces that the finance and operations functions of a social service organization are dedicated to serving the overall mission of the organization.
- A working knowledge of 501c(3) structure and operations would be helpful, however it is not necessary for CFO candidates to have previous professional experience in the NFP field.
- Advanced degrees such as a CPA and MBA would be ideal.
- Experience working with a high-powered Board of senior business executives would be helpful.
To view the full position description, including requirements and core responsibilities, and to apply for this role please click here.