Department: Community Building
Reports To: Program Manager
The United Way of Metro Chicago is seeking to hire 12 full-time AmeriCorps Members to support implementation of the organization’s United Way Neighborhood Network Initiative. Neighborhood Networks are United Way-led coalitions of community stakeholders – including social service agencies, schools, hospitals, faith-based organizations, corporations and elected officials – working together to address neighborhood-level challenges in the areas of income, education and health in 10 neighborhoods of need across the Chicago region. United Way of Metro Chicago is implementing Neighborhood Networks in Auburn-Gresham, Austin, Brighton Park, Bronzeville, Cicero, Evanston, Little Village, Robbins-Blue Island, South Chicago and West Chicago. Each AmeriCorps Member will have the opportunity to work in one of the 10 Neighborhood Network communities or our collective impact community, Palatine, to engage community residents and generate awareness about the initiative. Key functions of AmeriCorps Members will include meetings with community residents, neighborhood canvassing, representing the Neighborhood Network at community events, serving as aides in social service programs and developing promotional and education materials.
AmeriCorps is a federal and state-supported program that engages more than 75,000 Americans in intensive community service each year at nonprofits, schools, public agencies, and community and faith-based organizations across the country. United Way of Metro Chicago AmeriCorps Members will serve 12-month terms totaling 1,700 hours of service beginning in the fall of 2018. Members will receive a living allowance of $16,732, and basic benefits including FICA, Worker’s Comp, and Health Care. Members may also be eligible for education and child care benefits from the U.S. Corporation for National and Community Service. AmeriCorps Members will learn teamwork, leadership, responsibility and other essential skills that will serve them throughout their careers. The ideal candidate for this opportunity will be passionate about service and possess an interest in gaining experience in civic engagement. Successful candidates will be highly organized, motivated, confident, flexible, resourceful, and open to a changing and fast-pace environment. The individual will interact with a variety of diverse people and personalities in a variety of community settings.
- Members will complete required orientations and trainings for United Way of Metro Chicago and AmeriCorps
- Complete and participate in 360 evaluation which includes self-assessment, as well as, an assessment from site supervisor and program manager
- Daily and Weekly responsibilities will include an assortment of the following activities, depending on each Neighborhood Network community’s specific needs:
- Participating in meetings with community members, parents and community organization staff
- Canvassing local neighborhoods
- Organization community forums and meetings
- Serving as program aides in pre- and after-school, pre-K, K-12, and physical education programs or job placement and financial literacy programs, depending on interests
- Organizing and administering surveys
- Developing educational and promotional material including brochures and social media
- Recruit volunteers to support community outreach and education
- Age 18 or older
- US Citizen or Lawful Permanent Resident
- Enrollment in CNCS AmeriCorps -- http://www.nationalservice.gov/programs/americorps; enrollment is not required at time of application; United Way of Metro Chicago can guide interested candidates through the process
- High school degree or equivalent
- Interest in education, health and income issues
- Ability to travel
To view the full position description, including requirements and core responsibilities, and to apply for this role please click here.