Spotlight on the PepsiCo Foundation West Chicago Neighborhood Network Partnership
May is National Physical Fitness and Sports Month – a great time to celebrate the benefits of being active! Everyone can be physically active and regular physical activity is good for people of all ages!
According to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the benefits of physical activity extend to all ages, including:
• Children and adolescents – Physical activity can improve muscular fitness and bone and heart health.
• Adults – Physical activity can lower risk for heart disease, type 2 diabetes, and some types of cancer.
• Older adults – Physical activity can lower the risk of falls and improve cognitive functioning (like learning and judgment skills).
As part of National Physical Fitness and Sports Month, we would like to show our appreciation for our partners in health who make it possible for us to bring programs and services to communities that need them most. One of these communities is the City of West Chicago, a United Way Neighborhood Network community. The West Chicago Neighborhood Network is a coalition of community partners in West Chicago, convened by United Way to address the community’s most pressing health, education, and income needs.
The PepsiCo Foundation continues to be a key supporter of the health and education focused West Chicago Neighborhood Network. The PepsiCo Foundation’s support is helping to address a gap in awareness and practice of healthy behaviors and access to nutritious foods and physical activity for children, their families, and the community in West Chicago.
Some highlights of the important work being done with the support of the PepsiCo Foundation include:
• Health-focused family events for students and families, highlighting health, nutrition, and the operation of a school-based food pantry.
• Parent liaisons/health promoters providing support to families and students in West Chicago around healthy eating and physical activity.
• Strategic development and implementation of health-related plans at the school and community-levels.
We tremendously appreciate the support of the PepsiCo Foundation for helping us to bring programs and services to the West Chicago Neighborhood Network.
During this National Physical Fitness and Sports Month, remember that everyone can work together to create opportunities to get more physical activity. Make a difference in the health of our region this month by supporting the West Chicago Neighborhood Network!