The Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) encourages work, supports family financial stability and leads to long-term gains in child health and academic success. Read More »
Education. Income. Health.
We envision a world where all individuals and families achieve their human potential through education, income stability and healthy lives.
Learn more »
The Local Need:
- Approximately 47,000 people (ages 16-69) are unemployed.
- Many residents are stagnated in low-paying and non-career path positions.
- Several areas in the region have median incomes of less than half the national average.
- Over 14,000 people (age 25+) have an education level of 12th grade or less.
- In the Southland region, approximately 12.5% of the region’s population lives under 200% of the federal poverty level, ($44,000 for a family of four) with some areas experiencing levels higher than 20%
Speak United Blog
A new survey conducted by United Way of Illinois, the statewide association of 52 local United Ways and the largest non-governmental funder of health and human services in the state, shows the deepening impact of the budget impasse on the most vulnerable citizens across Illinois and on the human service sector overall. Read More »
As part of a partnership with iHeartMedia and WGRB (Inspiration 1390 AM), United Way of Metropolitan Chicago welcomed a group of local pastors on Monday, December 14th for their quarterly meeting and brunch. Read More »
Dear Friends and Supporters, While United Way of Metropolitan Chicago focuses much of our work on the building blocks of lasting individual and community success, at this time of year we call special attention to meeting people’s most basic needs—a hot meal, a warm bed, a safe place free from abuse. Read More »
As part of our Neighborhood Network Initiative, United Way is working with ten neighborhoods to establish bold community goals that can be addressed by area stakeholders. Read More »
UWMC TweetsFollow @unitedwaychi
In Cook & DuPage Counties, more than 850,000 residents don’t know where their next meal is coming from. buzz.mw/bawks_f
Learning gaps start as early as 18 months! That's why we focus on kindergarten readiness. Learn more about education buzz.mw/bawkw_f
Keep more of what you earn with the Earned Income Tax Credit. File online for FREE myfreetaxes.com