The Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) encourages work, supports family financial stability and leads to long-term gains in child health and academic success. Read More »
Education. Income. Health.
We envision a world where all individuals and families achieve their human potential through education, income stability and healthy lives.
Learn more »
The Local Need:
As part of a network of support for LIVE UNITED 2020, United Way North-Northwest serves communities across the northwest suburbs and Skokie Valley. The estimated population for this region is 1.1 million residents.
- Across the United Way North-Northwest footprint 22% of students are low-income.
- In some parts of the northwest suburbs and Skokie Valley, more than 50% of 11th graders are not meeting ISAT performance criteria in reading and math.
- In select northwest communities, only 69% of 3rd graders are meeting or exceeding expectations on their ISAT math scores, which is significantly lower than the 86% meeting or exceeding at the state level.
- Even with a median income of $65,868, 49,500 people still live below the federal poverty level (approximatley $20,000 annual income for a family of four).
- Renters account for 27% of the households.
Speak United Blog
A new survey conducted by United Way of Illinois, the statewide association of 52 local United Ways and the largest non-governmental funder of health and human services in the state, shows the deepening impact of the budget impasse on the most vulnerable citizens across Illinois and on the human service sector overall. Read More »
As part of a partnership with iHeartMedia and WGRB (Inspiration 1390 AM), United Way of Metropolitan Chicago welcomed a group of local pastors on Monday, December 14th for their quarterly meeting and brunch. Read More »
Dear Friends and Supporters, While United Way of Metropolitan Chicago focuses much of our work on the building blocks of lasting individual and community success, at this time of year we call special attention to meeting people’s most basic needs—a hot meal, a warm bed, a safe place free from abuse. Read More »
As part of our Neighborhood Network Initiative, United Way is working with ten neighborhoods to establish bold community goals that can be addressed by area stakeholders. Read More »
UWMC TweetsFollow @unitedwaychi
Keep more of what you earn with the Earned Income Tax Credit. File online for FREE myfreetaxes.com
We are excited to share that our own Danny Wilson was named a 2016 The Chicago Defender "Men of Excellence" honoree! https://t.co/J6aJUkcqlH
February is American Heart Month! Check out these tips on how to prevent heart disease from the CDC! buzz.mw/bawkz_f