On Friday, June 24, Austin Coming Together, the lead partner agency in the Austin Neighborhood Network, honored United Way of Metropolitan Chicago with the Collective Impact Champion Award at their “United in Purpose” Awards Luncheon. Read More »
Education. Income. Health.
We envision a world where all individuals and families achieve their human potential through education, income stability and healthy lives.
Learn more »
The Local Need:
As part of a network of support for LIVE UNITED 2020, United Way North-Northwest serves communities across the northwest suburbs and Skokie Valley. The estimated population for this region is 1.1 million residents.
- Across the United Way North-Northwest footprint 22% of students are low-income.
- In some parts of the northwest suburbs and Skokie Valley, more than 50% of 11th graders are not meeting ISAT performance criteria in reading and math.
- In select northwest communities, only 69% of 3rd graders are meeting or exceeding expectations on their ISAT math scores, which is significantly lower than the 86% meeting or exceeding at the state level.
- Even with a median income of $65,868, 49,500 people still live below the federal poverty level (approximatley $20,000 annual income for a family of four).
- Renters account for 27% of the households.
Speak United Blog
Our hats are off to Peter Butler for his impactful leadership as President of Rush University Medical Center and for his inspirational support of United Way of Metropolitan Chicago! Read More »
One of the core areas of United Way of Metropolitan Chicago’s work that you support with your contribution is helping making sure young children enter kindergarten ready to learn and students enter high school on track for graduation. Read More »
Vell was struggling in school. He had disciplinary problems and was failing academically—he was on the verge of being expelled from 8th grade. Read More »
Our Neighborhood Network Initiative continues to gain momentum. As you know, United Way is working like never before in ten neighborhoods including Austin, Auburn Gresham, Brighton Park, Bronzeville, Cicero, Evanston, Little Village, Robbins/Blue Island, South Chicago and West Chicago. Read More »