Alex Murphy, UWMC Senior Manager of Health United Way’s work to connect families to health care providers and preventive health services aligns with our mission to support strong communities. Read More »
Education. Income. Health.
We envision a world where all individuals and families achieve their human potential through education, income stability and healthy lives.
Learn more »
The Local Need:
As part of a network of support for LIVE UNITED 2020, United Way North-Northwest serves communities across the northwest suburbs and Skokie Valley. The estimated population for this region is 1.1 million residents.
- Across the United Way North-Northwest footprint 22% of students are low-income.
- In some parts of the northwest suburbs and Skokie Valley, more than 50% of 11th graders are not meeting ISAT performance criteria in reading and math.
- In select northwest communities, only 69% of 3rd graders are meeting or exceeding expectations on their ISAT math scores, which is significantly lower than the 86% meeting or exceeding at the state level.
- Even with a median income of $65,868, 49,500 people still live below the federal poverty level (approximatley $20,000 annual income for a family of four).
- Renters account for 27% of the households.
Speak United Blog
Raise your voice for working families this Friday, January 30, on Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) Awareness Day. The EITC helps lower-wage working families keep more of what they earn. Read More »
United Way’s Bill Green talks with Val Warner of Windy City Live about the truth and myths related to health insurance and the Health Care Marketplace as part of Youth Enrollment Week. Read More »
Join in on something fabulous and treat yourself to something beautiful at either Soma or Chico’s! 15% of all sales at Soma and 10% of all sales at Chico’s will benefit the United Way Women’s Leadership Council’s vital mentoring programs. Read More »
Recent media coverage illustrates United Way of Metropolitan Chicago’s role on different levels in leading and resourcing change in our region. Part of United Way’s unique value is that we do play the role of advocate, funder, partner, and innovator on both a neighborhood and regional level. Read More »
UWMC TweetsFollow @unitedwaychi
Join our DuPage/West Cook team for YLS Strike it Big! Grab your friends and meet us for a fun night of bowling! uw-mc.org/event/dwc-yls-…
March is #WomensHistoryMonth! We will be sharing posts about notable Chicago women and women in history!