James was unemployed and living in a shelter. He had accumulated significant medical and student loan debt and was being frequently contacted by collection agencies. Then James heard about Jane Addams Resource Center (JARC). Read More »
Education. Income. Health.
We envision a world where all individuals and families achieve their human potential through education, income stability and healthy lives.
Learn more »
The Local Need:
As part of a network of support for LIVE UNITED 2020, United Way North-Northwest serves communities across the northwest suburbs and Skokie Valley. The estimated population for this region is 1.1 million residents.
- Across the United Way North-Northwest footprint 22% of students are low-income.
- In some parts of the northwest suburbs and Skokie Valley, more than 50% of 11th graders are not meeting ISAT performance criteria in reading and math.
- In select northwest communities, only 69% of 3rd graders are meeting or exceeding expectations on their ISAT math scores, which is significantly lower than the 86% meeting or exceeding at the state level.
- Even with a median income of $65,868, 49,500 people still live below the federal poverty level (approximatley $20,000 annual income for a family of four).
- Renters account for 27% of the households.
Speak United Blog
Helping someone prepare their taxes may not initially have much appeal to you, but each year millions of dollars go unclaimed by families—unclaimed money that could prevent working families from living in poverty. Read More »
Dear Friends and Supporters, Spring is a special time in our region after our notorious Chicago winters. We at United Way thought it was the perfect time to reach out and share more about the work and impact you’re making possible with your engagement. Read More »
United Way of Metropolitan Chicago is proud to participate in GLSEN’s Day of Silence on April 17th. In support of LGBT youth who find themselves in need of a voice we offer ours in support and solidarity. Read More »
Alex Murphy, UWMC Senior Manager of Health United Way’s work to connect families to health care providers and preventive health services aligns with our mission to support strong communities. Read More »
UWMC TweetsFollow @unitedwaychi
Join in the Night of Noise in support of LGBT youth TONIGHT 5:30pm at the Thompson Center! buzz.mw/bqwsc_f