Neighborhood Network Coalitions Setting Bold Goals This past spring, six of ten United Way Neighborhood Network coalitions came together for a two-day “Design Institute” to discuss what it means to be part of United Way’s Neighborhood Network Initiative. Read More »
Education. Income. Health.
We envision a world where all individuals and families achieve their human potential through education, income stability and healthy lives.
Learn more »
The Local Need:
As part of a network of support for LIVE UNITED 2020, United Way North-Northwest serves communities across the northwest suburbs and Skokie Valley. The estimated population for this region is 1.1 million residents.
- Across the United Way North-Northwest footprint 22% of students are low-income.
- In some parts of the northwest suburbs and Skokie Valley, more than 50% of 11th graders are not meeting ISAT performance criteria in reading and math.
- In select northwest communities, only 69% of 3rd graders are meeting or exceeding expectations on their ISAT math scores, which is significantly lower than the 86% meeting or exceeding at the state level.
- Even with a median income of $65,868, 49,500 people still live below the federal poverty level (approximatley $20,000 annual income for a family of four).
- Renters account for 27% of the households.
Speak United Blog
Dear Friends and Supporters, As we hit our stride in a new school year, we thought it a good time to reach out and share more about the work and impact you’re making possible with your support of United Way of Metropolitan Chicago. Read More »
Michael comes from a single parent household where his mother is raising him and his 2 younger siblings. Michael lost his father at a young age and had a great deal of anger as a result. Read More »
Your contributions to United Way of Metropolitan Chicago support 198 high-performing nonprofit agencies across the region. In education, United Way partners with 70 agencies that provide high quality early education and middle school programming to start and keep kids on the right track for successful learning, and ultimately, graduation. Read More »
Meet Pat Bartler, a long-time United Way supporter and great friend of the organization. We asked Pat to share a little about how she became involved with United Way of Metropolitan Chicago and what has motivated her to stay engaged for so many years. Read More »
UWMC TweetsFollow @unitedwaychi
We are so excited for tonight's YLS Casino Night! Come out at 5:30pm for food, drinks & great company! http://t.co/sN6ywyuQli